"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, December 15, 2011

I don't consider myself a crafty person! But, I absolutely love crafts! I love new craft ideas that brighten and make new things well new! I consider myself a cultural crafter! I am not crafty in the sense that I can come up with tons of new ideas in my sleep. I like other people's ideas and I'll turn them around and make my own versions. I'm so glad that people share their ideas on blogs, etsy, and now pinterest, which by the way I'm not a member. I've been holding out from joining this site like I did for FB! I know that I'll be hooked and reeled right away and become addicted to it for many good reasons (no I'm not hooked to FB..I'm just saying it took me until the last couple of years or so to want to join the social hooplaness). I'm quite sure that I will have a pinterest account before the end of January! I'm almost certain that I will! It's like you're almost pushed into it, just like you almost have to have a smartphone or you won't know what's going on in the world. However the reasons I do love crafts. My hesitation is that it seems to take me a lot longer to figure out what I want to make or do a lot longer than most. Maybe it's just my imagination but this is how I see it (here goes my two cents worth..ha). I have one friend that could whip up a craft in no time and yes she's a mother, a  (fulltime) teacher mommy in fact!
Well here's my latest crafts! No biggies, but I wanted to share! We'll begin with the wreath! I love wreaths! I buy my wreaths and come to think of it I've only bought one Christmas wreath since we've been married and we've used it every year, however, it was used for a very short time this year, ha! I did buy the materials for the wreaths that were made for our wedding by my SIL but I've never attempted to make one myself until now!
A friend shared with me how to make a deco mesh Christmas wreath and I loved it! It was super easy! I finished it at home with Sam's help and it's now displayed on my front door. Is it perfect, no but from the street it looks very pretty!
The second craft that I recently made was with the help of my classroom children. We made snowmen on baubles using their handprints (I did not make this craft idea, a friend's son did this in preschool last year)! I used clear glass baubles, (I love this word instead of just saying ornaments) and I stuffed the baubles with dark blue paper shreds and I painted my kids hands white. Then I placed the bauble in their hand and told them to grab the ornament and then I pressed their fingers in place. When it dried I used sharpies to make the snowmen's top hats, buttons, carrot nose, and stick arms. The kids loved making this craft for their parent Christmas gift! What a memory! I even made one with C! Our tree is beginning to fill up with personal ornaments like this from her! Every year since she's been born I'll take a picture of her and place it in a picture ornament. We also have an ornament personalized with our names to commemorate the year. So we're adding about three new fun ornaments a year. I'm never buying store bought ones again!

Wreath

Handprint Snowmen with poem

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Those ornaments are so cute! What a great idea.