"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Spirtual Inventory
The first Sunday School lesson of this new year left me doing a lot of thinking. A lot of thinking in the way of personal spirtual goals and growth. I posted last year for 2010's new year's resolution that one of my goals was to "get more in the Word". After doing several mini family Bible studies this year with Sam and reading several books my goal remains the same: to get in the Word more, study it, and live it. I see great examples of Godly people in my life, in my church, and in my community everyday, and boy are they living for God! I love Godly examples! They help me in my own spirtual growth. I'm growing more each day even though sometimes I feel when I take two steps forward I take one step back (the "one step back" is a result of distractions I believe).
I love our SS class at LBC! It's a very large class (we split into two groups after we meet for prayer), but I have learned so many things from each and every class member. It's amazing the fun we have all while learning more about Him with every SS class, every meeting, with every social, or any gathering for that matter. I said all this to say that I'm thankful for our SS class and our vision for learning how we can best serve Him and be more like Him everyday! We are the Young Married and Young Families class "Doing Life Together"!
Our SS teacher, Todd Bevill, gave each class member on the first Sunday of the new year a list of questions so that we could each analyze our spirtual growth during 2010. I'm posting it here, it is that worthy! I know I'm motivated!
Here is the Spirtual Inventory: You get to grade yourself for each question using this A-F scale!

A= Perfect, Needing no improvement whatsoever.
B= Great Progress. On the right track!
C= Average,...chugging along. Not really progressing, but not falling back either.
D= Slip-sliding away...going in reverse
F= Does this really need explanation?

1. How have you grown this past year? Where am I now spirtually compared to this same time last year? Have I made progress? How would you "grade" yourself? (Col. 4:12, Eph. 4:14-15, Heb. 5:12-13)

2. Husbands, how have you led your family this past year? Is your family growing spirtually? How do you model Christ to your family? Do you set the example they are looking for? How do you measure the spirtual welfare of your family? Husbands...how would you "grade" yourself? Wives...how would you "grade" your husband? (Eph. 5:25, Col. 3:19, Romans 3:23)

3. Wives, how have you supported your spouse and family this past year? What have you done to build a nurturing environment in your home? How have you impacted your family and those around you with love? Wives, how would you "grade" yourself? Husbands...how would you "grade" your wife? (Proverbs 31:10-31)

4. What sacrifices have you made for the Kingdom this year? How would you "grade" yourself? (John 1:1, Matt. 8:20, Luke, 14:26-33)


I won't share with you my "grade" but I will tell you that none of these questions that I asked myself merited an answer of an "A". We are always works in progress. I needed this spirtual inventory of 2010 so that I can better steer my spirtual growth for 2011. I am so thankful for how real Todd is when teaching our SS class and how he Bibilically executed his lesson on this spirtual progress report.
Now, how did you grade yourself? What are you going to do for those answers that you gave yourself a C, D, or even an F? Think about it, everybody has an eternal life, but the question is where are you going to spend it?


1 comment:

Andrea said...

Wow, girl! That's great! One of the last nuggets of wisdom I remember getting from my 93 year old grandmama before she died was that "life is always a work in progress". You and your family are so precious, girlie! Love you!