"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, January 16, 2012

I would say I cook at least 7 (minus or plus one) meals a week. This would be dinner each work night and once during the weekend. Our breakfast on the weekends are quick and one includes our Saturday morning McDonald's stop (and if we don't go there I make french toast at home)! Sam and I both eat breakfast at home during the work week (I can't start my day without some type of breakfast albeit cereal, oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, Jimmy Dean's sausage biscuit, yougurt, toaster strudel, grits, egg sandwich,..something). We generally eat out either Friday or Saturday night and always after church on Sundays. We take left overs from each night for the next day's lunch (unless the school's serving mozzarella cheese sticks for lunch, ha) Variety is good! As far as meals I do like to learn new quick recipes! I've included two recipes here. A breakfast casserole (I make this sometimes on weekends and usually for our SS class for the Sunday we're signed up to bring breakfast) and a cowboy quesadilla! Both are really good with the latter becoming my new favorite dinner meal!

Breakfast Casserole:
1 lb mild sausage, cooked (I use Jimmy Dean's roll sausage)
2 c. milk
1 tsp dry mustard (I do not use this ingredient)
5 slices white bread cubed
1 c. grated cheese
6 eggs

Beat eggs, mustard (if you use), and milk. Layer bread, sausage and cheese in 9X13 pan. Pour beaten egg mixture into pan. Refridgerate (not sure if this is spelled right but you get the idea), over night. Next morning, bake 45 minutes at 350!

I'm not sure if you like Quesadillas but I've never tried them until Christmas break and I've made them twice. You have to use the correct ozs and ingredients in order for it to be "right". The first time I made it I used what I had and it was too watery. It's not spicey either. Actually, it's very simple to make! C and Sam love them!

Cowboy Quesadillas- source is from a recent issue of Parents Magazine!
1/2 lb (8oz - this is a half block) Velvetta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 can (10 0z) Rotel diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, drained
4 cups shredded cooked chicken (I use no more than 5 chicken breasts...I'm sure a lb of beef would also work if you wanted beef).
4 green onions, thinly sliced (I do not use this ingredient)
6 flour tortillas (10 inch)

Combine Velveeta and Rotel in 1-1/2 qt microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high 3 minutes or until Velveeta is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir in chicken and onions.
Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat. Spoon about 2/3 cup chicken mixture onto half of 1 tortilla; fold in half. Add to skillet and cook 1 minute on each side or until golden brown on both sides. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
Cut into wedges (one tortilla makes 4 wedges).

1 comment:

Heather and Travis said...

I am so thankful you posted that quesadilla recipe. It was so yummy!!! And you go girl with all that cooking! I am impressed!